Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Question

  • Is it necessary to have a medical referral to make an audiology appointment?

    No. You can make an appointment with us whenever you feel the need

  • How much does a complete audiological evaluation cost?

    Please contact us to find out more.

    Please note that most private insurance companies, the CNESST, Veterans Affairs or the SAAQ can cover the assessment costs.

  • What is the waiting time for an appointment?

    About 2 weeks.

  • What if I need an ENT appointment…?

    The audiologist and his or her team will be happy to assist you in making an appointment if you desire to.

  • What criteria must we meet to obtain a hearing aid paid for by the RAMQ?

    According to the RAMQ external link, the hearing aid program is intended for anyone insured by the Quebec health insurance plan, who has a hearing impairment and who meets the following eligibility conditions:

    • Person under the age of 12 with a hearing impairment likely to compromise their development of speech and language;
    • Person aged 12 or over and under 19, with one ear affected by an average hearing loss of at least 25 decibels;
    • Person 19 years of age or over with one ear affected by an average hearing loss of at least 25 decibels, and who is pursuing a study program leading to a diploma, certificate or certificate of studies recognized by the Ministère de l'Éducation, du Loisir et du Sport;
    • Person whose ear with the greatest hearing capacity is affected by an average hearing loss of at least 35 decibels (no age limit);
    • Person who, in addition to a hearing impairment, has other impairments and whose set of functional limitations prevents his social, educational or professional integration (no age limit).

    In some cases :

    • People under 19 and people with a visual impairment can benefit from a second hearing aid (binaural hearing aid);
    • Persons 19 years of age or older, if this improvement is essential to the pursuit of recognized studies or work providing them with a salary or a benefit, in particular such as:
      • Self-employed
      • Worker benefiting from support measures for employment integration and retention
      • Intern in the employability development process
  • If an assessment confirms the presence of occupational noise-induced hearing loss, what are the steps to follow to submit a request to open or review a file with the CNESST?

    The steps to follow for opening or requesting a review of a file at the CNESST, in the event of occupational noise-induced hearing loss, are:

    • Have your hearing assessed by an audiologist.
    • Draw up your employment history (names of employers and dates of positions). This information is available at:
      • Régie des rentes du Québec : 1 (800) 463-5185
      • Commission de la Construction du Québec : 1 (888) 842-8282
    • Complete the following forms:
    • Meet the ENT doctor: the doctor will give you a medical certificate to send with the rest of the forms.
    • Mail all of the following documents to the CNESST in your region:
      • Your audiological evaluation (report and audiogram)
      • The worker's claim
      • The appendix to the complaint request
      • The medical certificate signed by the ENT doctor
      • A copy of your employment history (RRQ or CCQ)
  • Is it relevant for my child to have a hearing screening (in ECC) or a hearing test (in a clinic) if he passed the screening at birth?

    Even if the hearing screening has been passed by the child at birth, the presence of mild, permanent or temporary hearing loss is possible. Often undiagnosed, it can affect school learning and language development: it will give the impression that the child is inattentive or that the child's abilities are lesser than those of peers.

  • Is it relevant to repeat the hearing screening if my child has passed it in the past?

    It is important to do an audiological screening annually: certain problems, such as ear infections and wax plugs, can reappear and replicate a temporary slight hearing loss.